- Formulate and adopt a Comprehensive National Science and Technology Plan, and monitor and coordinate its funding and implementation;
- Promote, assist, and where appropriate, undertake scientific and technological research and development in areas identified as vital to the country;s development;
- Promote the development of indigenous technology and the adaptation and innovation of suitable imported technology, and in this regard, undertake technology development up to commercial stage;
- Undertake design and engineering work to complement research and development functions;
- Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the transfer of the results of scientific and technological research and development to their end-users;
- Promote, assist and, where appropriate, undertake the technological services needed by agriculture, industry, transport, and the general public.