Guided by ths year's theme "People at the Center of Health Research and Innovation", the Department of Science and Technology Region VIII and the Department of Health Region VIII through the Eastern Visayas Health Research and Development Consortium (EVHRDC) conducted the 2015 Regional Health Research Symposium at Sabin Resort Hotel, Ormoc City, Leyte on June 23-24, 2015. The symposium is designed to create an avenue for the dissemination of information on health researches conducted for professionals and students from its member institutions. The symposium had two contests; the Poster Exhibit and the Oral Presentation contests and categorized into the professional and the student categories. This year, there are 4 entries under the Oral Presentation; 6 entries for the Poster Exhibit under the professional category; and 6 entries made it to the finals in the Poster Exhibit under the student category, who vied for the coveted Outstanding Health Research in Region VIII.
Participated in by all the members of the Consortium, the winner of the contest will most likely to represent the region during the Philippines National Health Research System Contest which is usually conducted in the month of August but will be moved to 2015 due to Global Health Forum that fell on the same month and will be hosted by the Philippines (PCHRD as Secretariat).
The following are the full list of entries per category:
Oral Presentation (Professional):
- Multi-Drug Resistant, Potential Nosocomial Bacterial Pathogens in Two Hospitals in Tacloban City, Leyte, Philippines by Mr. Agripino L. Limpiado, Jr. of RTRMF;
- ECG Signal Classifications for Remote Area Patients using Artificial NeuralNetworks in Smartphones by Vincent Montaño of SSU;
- Knowledge, Perception and Practices on Essentia Intra Partum and Newborn Care Program among Health Care Workers in Biliran Provincial Hospital;
- The Profile of Patients with Clinical Manifestations of Neuroschistosomiasis at Department of Internal Medicine, EVRMC from 2010 to 2014 by Ryan S. Golong and Brian Marmita of EVRMC.
Poster Exhibit (Professional Category)
- Diabetic Risk Assessment in Palompon, Leyte Implications to Promote Health Education Program by Neil L. Egloso, et. al. of PIT;
- Knowledge, Perception and Practices on Essential Intra Partumand Newborn Care Program among Health Care Workers in Biliran Provincial Hospital by Silimark T. Bacason, et. al. of NSU;
- Indigenous First Aide Practices on the Animal Bites Residents in Cabucgayan, Biliran by Arlene S. Supremo, et. al. of NSU;
- Attitute of Sex Education among Freshmen Students Enrolled in Naval School of Fisheries by Pearl Irish T. Velicorpia, et. al. of NSU;
- Immunization Practices of Primary Care Providers of Fourteen Month Old Toddler in Cabucgayan, Biliran by Thelma Camarines Pojeda, et. al. of NSU; and
- Perception of Selected Students of Basey National High School on Reproductive Health: An Instructional Guide by Rosalyn M. Ocop of DepEd VIII
Poster Exhibit (Student Category)
- Healing Potential of Selected Plant Extract by Rodrick A. Piangco, et. al of EVSU;
- Potential of Plants as Growth Inhibitors of Microorganisms by Feona Jane T. Ocfemia, et. al. of EVSU;
- Detection and Classification of Hookworm Filariform Larvae among Patients of a Private Hospital in Tacloban City by John Michael D. Merin, et. al. of SSCT;
- The Sedative Effect of Methanolic Eggplant (Solanum melangena) by Mary Villarose C. Gaspan, et. al. of SSCT;
- Extent of Knowledge on Third-Hand Smoke Exposure Among Residents of Selected Municipalities in Leyte by Thyrone Mark P. Arriesgado, et. al. of SSCR; and
- Health Seeking Behavior of Families under the Pantawid Pampamilyang Pilipino Program (4Ps) in Tacloban City by Lourlie B. Nerza, et. al. of SSCT
The forum was attended by the Department of Health Undersecretary, Dr. Vicente L. Belizario, Jr. The undersecretary, during the Keynote Address encouraged health workers and R&D practitioners to continue exploring areas where health research results can become a solution to the challenges that our country is facing as far as health sector is concerned. He (Belizario) encouraged researchers to have their study output published in scientific and recognized referred international journals so that it will get a zeal of excellence. Belizario proposed to the EVHRDC to host a workshop on R&D manuscript preparation and to make sure that the output of the workshop will be worthwhile, he suggested that researchers will be "kidnapped"and will ony be allowed to go home when they already have publishable manuscript. Usec. Belizario was joined by DOH-8 Director Dr. Minerva P. Molon. Director Edgardo M. Esperancilla of DOST-8 was represented during the forum and also served as the closing message speaker, Engr. Ernesto M. Granada, ARD for Technical Operations.
ECG Signal Classification for remote Area Patients using Artificial Neural Networks in Smartphone of Samar State University and presented by the researcher Mr. Vincent Montaño, emerged as the First Prize Winner; for Poster Exhibit under the Professional Category, the poster immunization Practices of Primary Care Providers for Fourteen Month Old Toddlers in Cabucgayan, Biliran by Thelma C. Pojeda, et. al. of Naval State University (NSU) declared as Grand Winner while the Poster Exhibit entitled Healing Potential of selected Plant Extracts by Roderick A. Piangco, et. al. of Eastern Visayas State University (EVSU) was declared Grand Winner under the Student category. (By Engr. Ramil T. Uy, DOST-8)